Do you have Celiac disease?

Please share your personal experience dealing with Celiac disease. Educate others by using this blog site.

Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

Gluten Free Brewing Podcast a Success!

Listen to us discuss the mystery of the hordein protein found in
barley. Also, we talk about ingredients you can use to make a gluten
free beer as well as low gluten beer. Check it at
www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/824.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Plise <jonplise@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 12:24:54 -0800
Subject: Gluten Free Brewing Podcast a Success!
To: jonplise.brewer@blogspot.com

Listen to us discuss the mystery of the hordein protein found in
barley. Also, we talk about ingredients you can use to make a gluten
free beer as well as low gluten beer. Check it at
www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/824.

--
Sent from my mobile device

--
Sent from my mobile device

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Great information on the podcast. Thanks for that! I'm malting my first batch of buckwheat now, and looking forward to brewing with it next week.

You mention being able to buy malted buckwheat at harvest house, but I was unable to find it. I found the kasha, but no malted buckwheat. Were you able to source malted buckwheat somewhere?

Again, thanks for all the great information. Cheers!

Jonathan Plise said...

Hi Aaron -

Thanks for posting on the blog. Look for toasted buckwheat known as kasha on harvest house. Malted basically means its been processed and the buckwheat seed has been germinated, dried, and heated. Let me know how your beer turns out. Use at least 12 to 15 lbs of malted buckwheat for 5 gallons. Good luck.

Cheers!
Jonathan

Patrick said...

Is it this stuff that's only like $1.50 per 10lbs!?

http://www.harvesthouse.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=223946&StoreID=SFBC5UH5EES92J2100AKHMCCQSCXB8HB&private_product=0

Josh Lowe said...

Just recently turned onto the BN podcasts and after contacting the show, I was directed to your session from 12/11/2011 on GF brewing. I have to say I learned a LOT!

I have brewed 3 very simple batches of GF (or more likely low gluten) beer for my wife (who has Crohn's Disease). I took the Briess Golden Light Malt Extract, a couple ounces of Cascade Hops & either Raspberry puree or fresh/frozen sour cherries. Both turned out better than expected.

But after listening to you on the show and looking at the recipes on your website, I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons! I am preparing to order ingredients for your "GF American Pale Ale" and see how it turns out.

Thank you again for this excellent website & for sharing all of your knowledge regarding gluten free brewing!

Cheers,

Josh Lowe